Understanding Laser Eye Surgery and Finding the Best Surgeons
Laser eye surgery is a medical procedure that involves sculpting of the cornea with a laser to treat eye-related disorders like Myopia, Hypermetropia and Astigmatism. The first ever laser eye surgery procedure dates back to approximately 30 years. Although the concept of laser eye surgery has existed for quite a while now, it was not until very recently that it gained its fair share of recognition.
In essence, laser treatments for eyes help in the correction of refractive eye disorders that may occur due to imperfections in the shape of the cornea or eyeball. Cornea is recognized to be the front and transparent layer of the eye. Refractive errors are responsible for the imprecise focus of light from an object on the retina of the eye. This leads the viewer to suffer a blurry vision. As mentioned above, the three kinds of refractive errors and their nature have been explained below:
1. Astigmatism (unevenness in the curvature of eye surface) -Due to the unevenness of the lens and the cornea, images of the objects fail to focus in a sharp manner on the retina hence leading to a blurry distant vision.
2. Myopia (Near sightedness) -The eyeball stretches out to be longer than its normal size. As a result, the images instead of getting focused on the surface of the retina focus in front of it.
3. Hypermetropia (Farsightedness) –In this disorder, the ability to focus on objects that are near, diminishes. On the contrary, one can clearly see the objects at a distant site. The eyeballs diminish to a shorter size or the cornea flattens way too much leading images to focus behind retina.
Detailed below are the various laser eye surgery procedures that you can undergo as prescribed by your ophthalmologist or as required by your eye - condition:
1. Contoura Vision – Correction of spectacle power by a completely bladefree laser system, which is FDA approved and which gives you two additional benefits over just correcting your spectacle power. It also corrects your corneal irregularities and works on visual axis providing super human vision, unmatched by any other laser procedure
2. Smile – Utilizes only one laser to cut two planes of tissue on the cornea and then pulls the lenticular tissue with forceps.
3. Lasik eye surgery procedure (Laser in-situ Keratomileusis):
Lasik Laser eye surgery is one of the most recognized laser eye surgery procedures currently existing in the market. It constitutes around 90 to 95 percent of all forms of laser eye surgery and has the widest range of uses. Under the procedure of lasik laser eye surgery, a thin flap is created in the cornea using a Microkeratome blade or Femtosecond laser. These flaps are then made to fold back so that the surgeons are allowed to scrape off some of the corneal tissue. Once this is done, the corneal flap is placed back to cover the area from where the tissue was scraped. In cases of Myopia, surgeons aim to flatten or at least reduce the steepness of cornea. Alternatively, the aim is to increase the steepness of the cornea for patients of Hypermetropia.
4. PRK (Photo Refractive Keratectomy):
Similar to lasik, in this procedure of laser eye surgery, surgeons use a laser to reshape the cornea and to scrape some of the corneal tissue. Recovery is more time - consuming in comparison to a lasik laser eye surgery.
Are you looking for a good eye-surgeon in Delhi?
It is important to conduct a bit of research and do your homework well before looking out options for laser eye surgery in Delhi. Luckily, there are numerous of sources available considering which you will be able to make a prudent choice. You can consult your ophthalmologist or seek advice from friends, relatives or colleagues that have undergone laser eye surgery.
1. Seek advice from your ophthalmologist:
This is the person who takes care of all your routine vision requirements. Your ophthalmologist will provide you with complete information about the best eye specialists in Delhi for refractive eye surgeries.
2. Speak with a friend, colleague or relative:
People that you know who have undergone a laser eye surgery will be able to guide you about the various precautions, benefits and side-effects (if any) related to the surgery procedure.
3. Visit a medical organization:
Visiting a medical organization would provide you an opportunity to meet and consult the experts from the industry. Doing so will also help you narrow down your options for the best eye specialists in Delhi for refractive eye surgeries.
Also, some of the other factors that you may consider while selecting the best eye surgeon are:
For how long the surgeon has been performing laser eye surgeries?
What has been the success percentage of the eye surgeries the specialist has performed?
What are your chances of achieving a flawless vision post the surgery?
How many of the patients return to the surgeon for further vision correction procedures?
Which sort of laser eye surgery will work best to correct your eye disorder?
What are the requisites to care for your vision’s health post the surgery?
Patients above 20 years of age are eligible to undergo laser eye surgery. However, those suffering or having a history of diabetes, disorders related to immune system, keratoconus or rheumatic conditions in the family should be particularly careful before proceeding with the procedure.
To sum all of it up, people should be aware that in certain cases there may be a chance of 20/40 vision revival. It fundamentally means that the vision disorder might not be cured absolutely. Hence, in order to achieve a perfect eye-sight, one might need to continue wearing spectacles or lenses. He/she might also be required to undergo further laser surgery procedures to achieve a 20/20 vision result.