Nobody is a fan of wearing contact lenses or spectacles daily. If you rely on lenses or specs to see clearly, LASIK is perfect for you. It is a laser vision correction technique that works like magic. You can get rid of your vision imperfections and lead a convenient life. Yes, it is true. You won’t have to keep buying lenses or eyeglasses anymore. Are you intrigued to learn more about this procedure? Do you have a lot of questions regarding the procedure, its advantages, and the LASIK treatment cost in India? Here’s everything you need to know to decide if you should undergo LASIK.
What is LASIK?
Laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis or LASIK has emerged as a popular eye surgery. It corrects vision imperfections in individuals who are farsighted or nearsighted. It also treats astigmatism. It is the most successful vision correction operation that reshapes the cornea. The purpose of this refractive surgery is to enable distinct vision. How does it achieve perfection? By reshaping the cornea, LASIK allows the light entering your eye to properly reach the retina. That’s how you get the desired clarity even when you aren’t wearing glasses.
An overview of the procedure
First, the eye surgeon creates a thin and superficial flap in the cornea. He takes a microkeratome – a small and specialized surgical tool. A femtosecond laser is equally useful in creating the flap.
After that, the doctor folds back the flap to gain access to the cornea under it. He requires an excimer laser to remove some portions of the corneal tissue. The excimer laser produces an ultraviolet beam of light. It can detach microscopic amounts of corneal tissue from the patient’s eyes to redefine its shape. This step is crucial as its precision depends on how improved your vision will be. With the removal of the undesired corneal tissue, the light that falls on the individual’s eyes will focus accurately on his retina.
If the person is near-sighted, the doctor’s goal is to flatten his cornea. For people who are farsighted, a steeper cornea is required. When the laser ablation has rectified the corneal imperfections, the flap is kept back in its original place. It covers the area where the doctor has removed the corneal tissue. During the healing period after the surgery, the flap attaches to the underlying cornea.
Doctors use topical anesthetic drops before beginning the operation. There will be no stitches and bandages after the surgery gets over.
Frequently asked questions on LASIK Eye Surgery
1. How much does the LASIK operation cost? ANS: The cost of LASIK eye surgery is not fixed. It depends on a range of factors such as the location of the hospital. There are many eye clinics in all cities. They charge differently as per the services they provide. The fees of eye surgeons are also not constant. Doctors get paid based on their years of experience and their areas of expertise. The technology used, the reputation of the hospital, and the post-surgery care are other elements that impact the price. So, to get an exact estimate, book your appointment with a reputed eye clinic. They will calculate the cost after examining your eyes.
2. What are the benefits of LASIK treatment? ANS: The biggest benefit to LASIK operation is that you can get rid of lenses and glasses. You can participate in outdoor games. You will be able to see things more clearly than specs. Your eyesight will permanently improve.
3. Am I a suitable candidate to undergo LASIK surgery? ANS: It depends on your eye health. If you have a thin cornea, LASIK cannot be performed.
4. How do I prepare myself for LASIK surgery?
ANS: The first thing that you need to do is stop wearing lenses for at least a week. Sleep well the night before the operation. Keep yourself hydrated and avoid smoking/ drinking. Having too much caffeine is also a bad idea as it’ll affect your sleep. Lastly, don’t apply makeup on your face and reach the hospital on time.
5. What should I do after the surgery?
ANS: Upon completion of the LASIK operation, your eye surgeon will advise you to rest for a while. You may experience an itching or burning sensation temporarily, but there is no reason to worry. Your doctor will perform the post-operative exam and release you. Don’t put pressure on your eyes immediately. Instead, ask someone to take you home. If you work a desk job, apply for a leave beforehand and take the next day off. Avoid touching your eyes frequently to avoid infections.
6. When will my vision return to normal after the operation?
ANS: Every surgery has a healing time and LASIK is no exception. The recovery rate varies from one patient to another. For some, it takes only 48 hours to get back to daily life. Some patients need to wait at least a week to see things clearly. To speed up the recovery, take good care of your eyes. Abide by the instructions given by your ophthalmologist.
7. Are there any side effects of LASIK?
ANS: LASIK is a safe surgery. Complications resulting from it are rare. However, patients often experience some minor side effects. These include dry eyes, glare, halos, undercorrections, double vision, overcorrections, flap problems, and regression. If you face any of these issues, don’t panic. They will subside within a few days. If the side effects remain, consult your doctor before applying anything to your eyes.
To Sum Up
So, there’s no denying that LASIK surgery is the most reliable way to enhance your vision. You should not consider it an additional expense. On the contrary, it is an investment in your health. You will get to view the world with your naked eyes for the first time. Isn’t that feeling worth the money you spend? Moreover, your eyes deserve the best care in the world. So, weigh your options and go ahead with LASIK if you wish.