With the advent of technology, Lasik eye surgery technology has also evolved in India. There are a variety of Laser Eye Surgeries available in the industry that helps in specs removal and corrects any vision irregularities such as myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism. Also, the Lasik Eye Surgery Cost in India is very cost-effective. The eye hospitals in the country are known for their cutting-edge technology, experienced surgeons, and meticulous patient care.
In fact, the Lasik treatment cost in India is significantly less than in equivalent centers abroad. This is one of the factors that has pushed India to fast become a hub for international patients.
What is Lasik Eye Surgery?
Lasik Eye Surgery is an exclusive eye operation. It is arguably the most popular category of laser refractive surgical procedures. In most cases, it is considered to be an effective alternative to glasses or contact lenses, improving the visual quality. Usually, the light bends normally through the cornea of the eye. But, when one suffers from poor vision of varying degrees, the light doesn’t bend as desired, through the cornea. The LASIK surgery corrects the fault. It has the potential to fully correct issues related to myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. There may be some minor side effects of LASIK such as dryness or irritation in the eye. But, there is nothing to be intimidated about. The issues vanish after a day, in almost every case. The Lasik operation cost in India ranges from INR 20,000/- to INR 1 lakh.
Which is the Best Lasik Laser Eye Surgery in India?
While this article will aim to help you critically evaluate all of the available laser eye surgery techniques, you must remember that your doctor will need to perform a series of comprehensive eye examinations before deciding on the Lasik surgery best suited for your vision needs.
Types of Lasik/Laser Surgery for Eye Include
1. Laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis (Lasik): Conventional Lasik eye surgery is the most commonly performed eye surgery in India for specs removal, especially in Tier 2 and 3 cities, even though more sophisticated Lasik eye surgery variants are available in the country.
2. Sub Bowman’s Keratomileusis (SBK): SBK is safer than conventional Lasik and also produces clear visual outcomes similar to any other laser eye operation. This surgery is viable for patients with thin corneas as a very thin flap is created during the process.
3. Femtosecond Lasik: This is the premium robotic bladeless Lasik eye surgery, and has proven to be significantly superior to the conventional variants in terms of both, safety and efficacy. While the other premium treatments such as SMILE, and Contoura Vision, are also available in India freely, most eye centers do not have access to the technology. In this case, bladeless femtosecond Lasik is the best Lasik eye surgery in India for you.
4. SMILE (Small Incision Lenticule Extraction): SMILE is distinct from all other kinds of Lasik eye surgery available because, in SMILE, no corneal flap is raised. Instead, a small part of the cornea called the lenticule is removed using a very small incision, in order to modify its shape, making it the best option for patients with dry eyes. Therefore, if you have preexisting dry eyes or are at increased risk of dry eyes due to predisposing factors, your doctor will suggest that SMILE may be the first choice for you.
5. Contoura Vision Lasik Surgery: Contoura Vision is easily the most sophisticated, and technologically advanced LASIK eye surgery available as it is US-FDA approved. Contoura Vision technology has provided superior visual results because the cornea modification is customized to the needs of the individual eye using a very advanced computer algorithm. This algorithm analyzes the shape of the cornea over more than 22000 points on its surface and controls the ablation at each of these points. This is why the vision results in terms of safety and precision are superior to all other Lasik variants. So, in case your doctor is well versed with Contoura Vision or can refer you to a refractive surgeon who is, this is definitely the best Lasik eye surgery in India for you.
How much Does Lasik Eye Surgery Cost in India?
As you can well imagine, the Lasik treatment cost in India is variable, depending on the technology used, as well as the expertise of the doctor, and the location of the hospital. There are other factors too that determine the Lasik Operation Cost in India.
However, to quote, here is the approximate price range for Lasik eye surgery cost in India:
Conventional Lasik: INR 20,000-30,000
Sub Bowman’s LASIK (SBK): INR 30,000-40,000
Femtosecond or Robotic LASIK: INR 80,000-1,00,000
SMILE: INR 80,000-95,000
Contoura Vision: INR 95,000-1,05,000
As is evident from this list, there is a significant price difference between the conventional techniques for LASIK and the premium laser vision correction procedures.
Factors Influencing the Cost of Laser Eye Surgery in India
Practically, Lasik surgery cost in India depends on a wide range of factors. There are specific
parameters that influence the expense of the surgery such as:
1. Experience of the surgeon: The cost escalates when the surgeon has many years of experience in performing the surgery
2. Type of technology used to conduct the operation: The cost may depend on which type of procedure you choose to undergo. A traditional Lasik surgery may cost less than a Contoura Vision procedure.
3. Location of the clinic: The price of Laser eye surgery might fluctuate depending on the city and locality of the laser eye centre. Cities such as Delhi and Bangalore will be a little more expensive than other cities.
4. Facilities Offered: If the eye clinic is offering an aftercare package, then the Lasik treatment cost in India will be higher.
Is Lasik Eye Surgery Cost Covered Under Health Insurance?
Not all health insurance policies cover the expense of the surgery as it is considered to be an optional treatment. However, there are some insurance companies that cover the costs. Hence, it is imperative to carefully go through the terms and conditions of the insurance policy before buying it. The guidelines of the policy document clearly mention whether the policy covers the expense of Lasik eye surgery. It is better to ask the clinic about it. Also, you can ask the insurance company about the policy’s features in
Is the Higher Cost of Premium Lasik eye surgery Techniques Justified?
Even though the premium Lasik technology appears to be expensive at first glance, you must be aware of the fact that these costs in India are only a fraction of the costs outside the country. In fact, even in the state-of-the-art eye hospitals in India, the technology is significantly cheaper than elsewhere abroad.
The advantages of choosing the premium variants of Lasik are self-explanatory since they clearly offer you a better quality of vision even though the premium Lasik surgery cost in India is on the higher end. But here is a brief overview in case you have any doubts.
No apprehensions about blades and knives, no blade-related complications
All laser techniques, so greater precision and safety
Superior wound healing so decreased chances of infection and faster visual rehabilitation.
Better visual outcomes: Super Vision, that is, vision better than 6/6 is seen in almost two-thirds of patients undergoing Contoura Vision
Decreased incidence of adverse effects like haloes, ghost images, and dry eyes
Fully automated, robotic procedure with computerized control
Which is the Best Hospital for Lasik Eye Surgery In India?
In case you need to decide for yourself, provided you are eligible for laser vision correction, you must base your decision on two factors alone. Safety and precision are paramount, and on both these counts, Contoura Vision is far superior to its other counterparts.
Several eye hospitals in the metros are well equipped with the best Lasik eye surgery technology and boast of well-trained, experienced surgeons. It is best to choose Lasik Surgery Specialists in Delhi that offer the entire refractive surgery bouquet so that your choice is not limited. If you are considering Delhi, for example, while several hospitals offer laser vision correction, all the Lasik eye surgery variants, including Contoura Vision, are available only at Eye 7 hospitals and AIIMS.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the procedure of Lasik Surgery?
Lasik surgery is a painless, injection-less, advanced surgery of the eye, meant to make
the vision quality perfect. The first step involves the creation of a flap in the cornea of the eye.
The cornea controls the refracting capacity of the eye. The light bends through it, enabling a
person to see. The second step is using a sophisticated laser to fit the flap and giving surgical
touches. The third step is the last stage of technically correcting the vision quality of the
Can Lasik Surgery Cure Astigmatism?
Yes, Lasik is considered to be very effective in fully treating the issue of astigmatism in the eye. The patient remains satisfied with the results. In rare cases, issues may return, but it doesn’t happen in most situations.
How long does Lasik surgery take?
The Lasik surgery takes approximately 30 minutes. The experience of the surgeon and his
expertise are factors that determine the time. An average estimate is – 30 minutes. The type
of Lasik surgery may determine the time bracket, but not too much. Also, eye surgery costs in
India remains the same irrespective of the time it takes to conduct it.
What will happen if I blink or sneeze during the Lasik procedure?
There is no reason to worry if you blink or sneeze during the Lasik surgery. The laser
used to conduct the surgery adjusts accordingly. There are no complications. You don’t have
to bother with it. You can stay relaxed.